Tales and Images from my point of view, Enjoy!
( click on images to enlarge)

Thursday, July 7, 2005











These photos are from Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado. They were all shot from the ground on a none flying day. The next day I flew over this canyon in blue skies with Donna Matthias chasing me. It was a high pressure day and I didn't think it would be very good, after climbing out to 14500' over the canyon I decided maybe it had some potential. I flew over the canyon on a NE track , Donna had to go all the way to Maybell to get across the Yampa River.

I got low after the crossing and gave her my GPS coordinates. I was over moonscape with few tracks below within gliding distance. I crossed a small valley to catch the thermals on the southfacing side and caught a boomer which took me to 19750 within about 10 mns. My next transmission of my altitude was a surprise to Donna who made me repeat it a couple of times. I told her to stay on the road for Baggs and we eventually crossed paths. I could spot the F350 from miles away. I headed towards Rawlins Wyoming and got real low just before town but drifted in some lift which turned on and got me high again.

Past the airport north of town I radioed Donna to scout the map for roads on my courseline as I couldn't see over a small range in front of me. She was tired from driving for 7hrs. and reported no roads on course, so I turned around and came a few miles back to the airport and landed.

An awesome flight of 140miles. On my flexwing. The day looked so poor I didn't mount the camera on the wing.

No comments: