Tales and Images from my point of view, Enjoy!
( click on images to enlarge)

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Big Southern Butte to Hebgen Lake/Yellowstone

I had been flying King Mt. trying to best the site record, when Alan Paylor said some folks were flying Big Southern Butte I decided to give it a try. This photo is of Hebgen Lake in Montana looking back toward Henrys Lake under my wing tip. I finally pulled the camera out when I got to this point.
The site record previously had been to West Yellowstone airport which is the brown area on the other side of the finger of Hebgen Lake

I'm over the western boundary of Yellowstone Park looking east toward Mammoth Hot Springs area. The sky that way looked good but I didn't want to chance landing in the park.


I flew up Hwy 191 which you can see in this photo. Getting about 5 miles farther toward Electric Peak which is in the middle right I couldn't see any good LZs along the highway, and not finding any more lift, I came back and landed in the field below. Locals stopped by and I had 2 beers and a piece of chocolate cake before getting retrieved. A fun flight. 135 mi. New site record.



No comments: