Tales and Images from my point of view, Enjoy!
( click on images to enlarge)

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Roping Tornadoes. High Adventure In The Sky

9 days after setting a personal best distance flight, I am back in the Owens Valley for more. There are only so many days of prime time weather during any given season. Late June to mid August is the best.

Our driver Jay declared he had seen 2 tornadoes on our last trip, which of course were only very large dust devils. So now we humorously refer to what we do as "Roping Tornadoes".

Jay didn't make it for this trip so Willy, Reavis and I decided to take turns driving for each other. A full eight or nine hr. day in the sky usually is enough to satisfy our skytime quota for a day. And gives the muscles a chance to rest before the next flight.

I drove for them the first day as I got in late the night before after the 400 mile drive down there.  Willy is trying to break the out and return world record and Reavis is easy going enough to take whatever the day is giving. He tried for an out and return also.  Being on a para glider makes it challenging though as the Owens is usually pumping with south winds all day long.

I drove up to Bishop and parked by the river under a pair of big cottonwoods and concentrated on reading a book and eating, in between dips into the cold water to cool off.  Willy got his out turn point and Reavis turned around at White Mt. We had good radio communications at all time on the 2 meter ham radios we use.

The day over developed with virga and gust fronts picking up about 5pm,  which shut them down.

The next day was forecast to have SE winds around 20 for the whole day across the area with a bit less overdevelopment. I thought it sounded great. Reavis decided to drive as 20 is a bit strong for para gliding in the Owens.

Walts Point google earth screen grab.  On Horseshoe Meadows Rd. at 9140' facing east toward the morning sun.


Looking east from above launch. Owens Lake which is now dry since LA bought up the water rights to grow the city years ago. The original flights in the early days of the sport began from the Inyo Mts. east of the lake. This was before the equipment evolved along with the learning curve which has us launching now at 9:30 in the morning instead of waiting till later. The canyon in front of Walts is perfect for channeling the mornings heat into nice soarable thermals which take us high and on our way.

I launched around 9:40 and climbed out quickly. Willy joined me and we topped out very high for that time of day. He was going to join me going open distance as the SE strong winds would make it to difficult for a return flight.


 This is another google earth screen grab depicting the view when I topped out near 14k (14000) ft. less then 2 miles behind launch. clouds were forming on the peaks and we headed right for them. pretty close together.  An epic start which is rare that early.


I was not quite over Mt. Whitney in elevation but this depicts what it looked like as I cruised by. Willy got a bit closer.  I was too concentrated on setting a new site record and didn't think till later to take a few pics. Wish I had we were  high and deep in this area which would have made for some beautiful shots.




Looking north up range and valley. We fly the Sierras usually for a couple hours and then cross over the valley to the west facing slopes of the White Mts. seen in the right distance.


The view from Tinnemaha Pk from 15+k where we usually try to get high and cross the valley on an angle so we can make use of the SE winds to go fast. We try to come in on Black Mt. which is visible in the right middle past Klondike Lake just north of the town of Big Pine. Then we climb out and fly the rest of the White Mt. range to the north.  At the end of which you are close to 100 miles out from launch.

I made it across easily this day. Willy got low behind me and was out in the valley trying to climb over the volcanic cinder cones. He succeeded for awhile but landed near Bishop. Reavis picked him up and they were on chase together soon there after.


This is from my InReach track log over Black Mt. where I got stuck for awhile. Each of those dots represents ten minutes of time as that is the interval it is set to transmit my location.  Wasn't really trying to draw a few triangles, just trying to get high. Which I finally did. I will link to my InReach tracks page at the end.


Down the White Mts. from over Black Mt. The most southern peak of the range. The whitish peak at the north end is Montgomery peak, beyond it you are in Nevada.  On this day there was good lift with clouds marking it but SE winds coming over the top creating a turbulent layer of air at around 12k. The guys had expressed encountering this the day before also. It isn't really a problem but it can tire you out when you have to give continual correction to your wing as it gets thrown about.   I played it smart staying below this turbulence till the very end of the range where I climbed to around 14k and crossed to the north side of the valley and into the convergence area that develops there.

Once there I topped out at 17354' and with the SE winds pushing me along toward beautiful clouds, I put the peddle to the metal,  gliding between roping tornadoes at 65 to 70 mph.  Every day we fly is similar in some respects but also unique in others. The thermals and convergence lines set up in different areas and the winds blow in different directions. With strong SE winds the best way to fly is NW, down wind if you want to go far. The clouds which are just tops of thermals where the moist hot air rising in them hits the dew point and condenses mark the lift lines.

On this day that line was out over the Walker Lake Valley, so that's where I went. Big fat cumulus clouds with dark bottoms signify the strongest lift. That's where I went.

Right in the middle I hooked into a screamer taking me up at 1400 fpm. It was so big and smooth I left my VG (variable geometry) pulled full on.

 I could see virga  or rain falling ahead to the NE and also NW so knew I would have to thread the needle between these areas to continue on. The guys are coming around through Mina and Luning trying to catch up with me. We have excellent radio communication.

I come in on the Wassuk Range north of Mt. Grant and without any clouds in the area. Diverting here to avoid the OD on the eastern side of the Lake. There are clouds forming up near the north end away from the OD so I work my way down the eastern slopes till Bald Mt. where I take these shots.


Walker Lake looking SE. The nice cloud in the center is where I topped out before gliding most of the way here along the range. Mt. Grant the dominant peak is under my wing tip. Hwy 95 is at the bottom along this side of the lake. The wind is blowing straight up this canyon producing nice smooth lift. I climb out with the local hawks who flash me their talons telling me this is their territory. I return a hand claw sign and show them some teeth.  They respect size and attitude so back off.


 Mt. Grant with virga to the west coming off the Sierras.

 I climb to 13500' on Black Mt. east of Schurz. There is a line of virga on the Desert Mts. to my north and one to my west on the Pine Nut Mts.  Most of the Yerington Valley is in shade, with an area of sun at it's northern border. I head straight for it climbing in smooth convergence lift as I glide across the valley. I blow through the gap between the lines of virga getting snowed on for maybe 30 seconds. Then out and away from it.

 Over Churchhill Narrows I find smooth lift to about 12 k. The guys are below on alt 95 Hwy and head for HWY 50 at Silver Springs. I have it easily on glide. I am headed for the big dry lake near Stagecoach but divert under a cloud at Table Mt. and take it to the top near 14k.

From this altitude I can see the Reno Valley and points NW and it is all in sun. I am about 208 miles from launch its just after 5pm and if I can get to the sun and make a run I feel the site record of 252 miles is breakable.

Only problem is the Flowery Range in front of me is being enveloped in solid virga, so I divert to a gap to the west over Virginia City, to continue on. I know I have got to get around Reno Int. airport so this seems a good move.

I clear the Flowerys easily behind VC. Gliding out to hwy 395 near Little Washoe Lake. I'm sinking out thinking I may have to land soon, then catch some lift and start moving with it toward the Carson Range and Mt. Rose.

The virga has pushed into the eastern areas of the Reno Valley with the cool air pushing the heated valley thermals up and out. It feels like a glass off. Rising air everywhere on the western side.

I move toward Hwy 80 and Peavine Mt. NW of Reno thinking if I can get over it I may be able to outrun this squall line.

It didn't happen I got to the end of the Carson Range and then fell out of the sky quickly, in a flush bowl cycle.

Landed safely if somewhat imperfectly along the Truckee River just east of Boomtown.  232.08 miles from launch. 8hrs. of skytime. 21 miles short of setting a new site record. The thirty minutes I spent at Black Mt. would have made all the difference, at this point of the flight. But that's how it goes.  The day was magnificent.  I will be back to rope me some more tornadoes. and give it all I've got. Thanks to Reavis and Willy for coming out and playing the game. True sky brothers are hard to find.


Bridge at Truckee River and I80 at Boomtown behind.  Link to my InReach page.  https://share.garmin.com/highhuber      You may have to edit the dates page to separate this flt from all the rest. 7-26-20 between 9am and  7pm should do it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome flight, Scott!

I'm right there with you, enjoying every thermal vicariously thanks to your writing.

232 miles: WOW!

My personal best, off Walt's, was 189 miles.

I had dreams of 200 but never quite got there.

Oh well, I loved the experience of trying.

You're so close to breaking Mark Gibson's age old record!

You just need to get lucky on top of all your hard work.

Best Wishes to you, Scott, in your quest!


Len Clements

Steven Pearson said...

Great write up, thanks for posting!