Tales and Images from my point of view, Enjoy!
( click on images to enlarge)

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Diablo Flight 4/14/12

   A good postfrrontal day at Diablo produces some great flying conditions. With me on launch were Greg S. Bob. N. Robert M. Mark G. Michael S. and Kevin D. I had lined up The Big Guy and his sis Kathleen to chase for us, and Janet was there driving also.

 I launched into an iffy looking north side but with cu's breaking off here and there I figured I could keep it in the air.

   I almost didn't, sinking out  as I scratched down Eagle Peak to the last nob above Mitchell Canyon where I caught a solid thermal at 2200' and rode it up above Eagle to 4400'.

I caught this thermal off Juniper ridge then cruised over to get a pic of the boys on launch.

They were standing around waiting for me to show them it was soarable.
 I finally got one to 5000' over Juniper as the clouds started filling in toward Oyster Point above Blackhawk Ridge.
Shot this above Oyster from around 6300' looking SW toward Pleasanton and the south bay area.

This is from same spot looking SE toward the Altimont Pass. I dolphin flew at cloudbase till I got there losing 1300' in about 12 miles.

Stopped and shot this looking back at Diablo above the Pass. 12 miles in 15 minutes, I like this kind of flying. Effortless.
 I crossed the pass and found more good lift staying about 4 to 4500' under a nice street parrelleling the freeway.


Got greedy and got caught in some 20 mph north wind low in the hills and got flushed out to 5 where I put it down for
 47.0 miles. 2hrs. 30mns.
Kevin and Mark flew over my head an hour later and got 63 and 62. Spring is here Yeeha!
  Thanks Chris and Kat for making it possible.

No comments: